Share

Sunday, September 22, 2013

How To Make: Easy Artisan Dutch Oven Bread

I always thought Artisan bread was very difficult to make.  Boy, was I wrong!  Let me show you how to make easy artisan bread, dutch oven style.
You will need:
  • 1 tsp. fast acting yeast
  • 1-1/2 cups warm water
  • 3 Cups flour (The flour I used: 2 cups bread flour, 1 cup high altitude flour)
  • 1 tsp. sea salt
Mix together the yeast and warm water.  Let this sit until the yeast has dissolved.   
Pour in the flour and salt.
Slowly mix these ingredients until it forms a ball.
I like to let my bread rise in a clean bowl, greased with olive oil.
Place the ball of dough in your clean, greased bowl.
Cover and let the dough rise for about 8-10 hours.
Mince rosemary and garlic.  This is optional, but I highly recommend this step.
Put your dutch oven in a 450 degrees Fahrenheit oven.  Let the dutch oven heat up for about 15 minutes.
 Take the rising dough out and place it on a floured surface.  Carefully fold in the rosemary and garlic.  Don't knead. 

Be careful to take the dutch oven out.  Use a pastry brush to spread olive oil in the pan and on the top of the dough.  

Place the dough in the dutch oven and cover.   Cook at 450 degrees for about 45 minutes. 
Take the bread out of the oven.  You will know it's done when it's golden-brown, and you tap on the bread and the crust doesn't bounce back.   
let the artisan bread cool for about 10-15 minutes.  It will be much easier to slice. 
This loaf of artisan bread was so fluffy on the inside with a hard crispy crust.  Matt said it was better than the bread at our local bakery, and that's saying a lot! 
 
The next loaf I make, I think I will add apples and walnuts.
I can't wait!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment