Share

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Deep Dish Polenta Pizza



I got this idea from a blog called carrotsncake.com.  She got the recipe from Realsimple.com.   This is super-easy, healthy, and tastes amazing.  The crust is crispy and holds together like crust made from flour.  



 The recipe on realsimple.com said to make your own polenta, but I had never done that before.  I did some research and decided to experiment with my own polenta creation.  It actually worked really well!  



I added one cup corn meal, one cup veggie broth, three cups water, salt, garlic, onion, red pepper flakes, and olive oil.  I cooked the corn meal on low for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.   When the polenta started to get thicker, I turned the stove up to medium and let it cook for about 10 more minutes until my creation became thick.  I tasted it to make sure it was edible, and to my surprise, it was more than edible.  I could have eaten the pot of polenta for dinner and been satisfied. 




Next I pulled out my cast-iron pans and oiled them with olive oil, then spread the polenta in the pans about 1/4 inch thick. 

I love my cast-iron pans!!

For my toppings, I added a small amount of spicy tomato sauce, sundried tomatoes, mozarella cheese, and basil.  
I placed in the the oven (425 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30 minutes.
 
After taking the pizza out of the oven, I let it cool for about 10 minutes and placed it on a plate to cut and eat.

The crust was crispy, easy to make and held its shape.  Matt and I loved this meal!  

I will be making this pizza again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment