Share

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Dutch Oven Soy Chicken with Rice and Fresh Herbs

 I love cooking in my dutch oven.  It makes the food taste so good and it reminds me of camping. :)  
Tonight I made a soy chicken with rice and fresh herbs from my garden.  If you don't already know, soy chicken is seitan and has 20 grams of protein per serving.  It also has a really good meaty texture.  

 I used: 
1 container of soy chicken (West Soy brand)
1 cup long grain rice cooked in 2 cups water
fresh herbs (basil, thyme, and rosemary)
2 sticks of celery chopped
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic minced
salt and pepper to taste
basil flavored olive oil (from Raccanto)
1 cup bread crumbs
1 tablespoon vegan cream cheese (Toffuti)
For the garnish, I used butter lettuce and raspberry vinaigrette

You will want to start cooking your rice first, since it takes longer than anything else.  
Boil two cups water, add rice to the boiling water and let simmer for about 25 minutes.
I used fresh herbs from the garden.  This is my favorite part.  I love my garden! :)
 Chop the onion and mince the garlic.  Cook on medium heat until caramelized. 
 Chop the soy chicken, fresh herbs and celery.  
Mix those ingredients together.
 Add your soy chicken mixture with the onions and keep cooking on medium heat. 
 Once the rice is done, add to the soy chicken mixture.
Pour the mixture into your dutch oven.
Mix one cup milk with 1/4 cup flour.
Pour over the milk mixture over the soy chicken.
Mix the bread crumbs and vegan cream cheese together and spread over the dish.
Place in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 40 minutes with the lid on and 10 minutes with the lid off.
Take out of the oven and let cool for a couple of minutes.  Kind of looks like an apple pie, but taste nothing like one. :)
I garnished the plate with butter lettuce and raspberry vinaigrette.  The vinegar is a great compliment to this dish, and the butter lettuce makes for great lettuce wraps.  This was so amazing.  


No comments:

Post a Comment