Share

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Lavender Orange Pound Cake with Strawberries (Vegan and Gluten-Free)

 This pound cake is so good!  I can't stop eating it!!  

I found the recipe in one of my e-mails from Susan Branch.  It's her Orange Lavender Polenta Cake.  I modified it a little to make it vegan and gluten free, and it turned out amazing!! 
 This is what you will need:
5 1/4 cups oat flour (I put oats in the food processor to make my oat flour) 
1 lb vegan butter ( I used Earth Balance)
2 1/4 cup super fine sugar (I used the lavender sugar from my last blog post)
2 teaspoons vanilla
6 eggs (I used egg replacer)
zest of four oranges
1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
1 1/2 cups fine polenta (put it in the food processor for about 1 minute to make fine)
3 tablespoons lavender
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional: Strawberries for topping.  It's really good by itself as well.

Cream room temp. butter and sugar until it turns almost white.
Mix in oat flour and vanilla.
Slowly add the eggs or egg replacer.
Fold in the orange zest, orange juice, polenta, lavender, baking powder, and salt.
Butter and flour your cast-iron pan and add the batter. 
Bake in the oven at 325 degrees F. for 45 minutes.  The muffin pans took about 35 minutes.
Let the pound cake cool for about 10 minutes.  I found this out the hard way.  The cooler the pound cake, the easier it will come out.  I took out the first batch super hot and some of the muffins broke, but the ones that I waited on came out perfect. :) 

You can devour as is, or top with fruit.  I put strawberries on top with store bought strawberry glaze.  Oh my goodness, I love this recipe.  It took quite a while to make, but is so worth it. 


2 comments: