Share

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Bountiful Baskets

Last night my mom called to see if I wanted her Bountiful Baskets with a tropical pack. She accidentally ordered an extra basket this week.  I jumped on her offer, and picked the basket up this morning at 6:45 a.m. 

This week I am going to prove to myself that I can use the basket in creative ways and blog about my cooking adventures to share with you.  I used to order Bountiful Baskets every week, but I wasted too many veggies and stopped ordering.

Bountiful Baskets is a volunteer-based food co-op that has locations in many states.  They try to buy their produce as locally as possible and stay with the same farmers to keep our prices down.   One regular basket costs $15.00 and comes with a basket of fruit and a basket of veggies.  If you're on a tight budget, but still want to get your veggies in, this is a great deal!  Check out their website to learn more.

 Every time I pick up Bountiful Baskets, I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.  Each week the baskets have different items, and sometimes you get unique fruits and veggies most people have never heard of.

 This is what my Bountiful Basket surprised me with today: 
Rainbow Carrots
Apples
Bananas
Oranges
Grapefruit
Pineapple
Head of Lettuce
Bok Choy
Asian Eggplant
5 lb. Bag of Golden Mini Potatoes
Broccoli

My mom also ordered a tropical pack.
The tropical pack had:
Two vanilla beans
one pineapple
three limes
bag of fresh mint leaves
one lemon
two kiwis
one coconut 
two mangos

This may take a couple of weeks for two people to consume, but I am determined to use it all up.  I'll keep you posted to show you what dishes I come up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment