Share

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Cherry Chocolate Oatmeal (easy and vegan)

This quick, healthy oatmeal is perfect for breakfast any day of the week.
Oatmeal reminds me of my dad and going out to breakfast before one of his crazy far runs or bike rides.  He would always get oatmeal.  He says it sticks to your ribs, giving you energy for hours to come.  I have oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast now.  It keeps me full and keeps me on track with my weight.

If you want to make this delicious oatmeal, 
you will need:
  • 1/2 cup slow oats (you can use quick oats, but they seem to be mushy once cooked)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup soy, almond, coconut, or rice milk  (I use soy since it has more protein than the other milks)
  • 1/8 cup dried cherries  (I got my dried cherries from Costco)
  • 1 teaspoon cocoa powder (I use Trader Joe's Brand)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon or more of maple syrup to add some sweetness
  • 1/8 cup of pecans for crunch

Add one cup of water to a small pot and bring to a boil.  

Add 1/2 cup oats, cocoa powder, and cherries.  Turn the stove to low and let the oats cook for about 5 minutes.  The cherries will plump up and the cocoa powder will cook into the oats and cherries during this time.  

Take the oatmeal off the heat and add the maple syrup, soy milk (if desired), a pinch of salt, and pecans.  Stir and pour the oatmeal into a bowl.   

Let cool and devour.  
 Cherry chocolates have always been a favorite goodie.  
Now I get to eat it for breakfast! 

See more of my oatmeal and breakfast recipes:
 Also, check out The Oatmeal for a good laugh.

1 comment: